Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gah!


This is, as my grandfather used to say, a good
day for the KeeKee bird.

What is the keekee bird, you ask?

Well, the keekee bird is a small, but incredibly loud
creature that flies about on days like this calling
"KeeKee...KeeKee...Crap it's COLD!"

I stepped outside to throw a few things in the recycle
bin wearing only my pj's. That was at 8:30 am. It is now
1:30 pm and I still haven't warmed up.

This is the beginning of a classic January Cold Snap.

My cats are sulking as they want desperately to go out -
but only make it as far as the doorstep before retreating to
the warmth of the kitchen. The maple trees in my yard are
creaking stiffly in the northwestern breeze - no doubt they
will lose a few branches should the wind pick up. Everything
is glistening with a heavy frost that even the bright afternoon
sunshine cannot penetrate. It's truly beautiful to see - but that
is this weather's only saving grace.

Lives are disrupted by such weather. Cars don't want to run,
walking any distance requires every piece of clothing you own
and even a few you don't. Exposed skin will be frostbitten in a
matter of seconds. Road conditions are treacherous as well -
as the road surfaces freeze solid and become black ice.

In other words, it's a good day to stay in and stay put.

I offer proof of my claim here.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

The picture is beautiful!! Too bad it is so cold. We are having a cold front in FL too that is apparently staying for the next week or so. Our high tomorrow is only supposed to be 60!! I am going to have to break out the polar fleece and flannel!!!