Friday, September 26, 2008

September 26th

Today is my mother's birthday.

She would have been 64 years old.

It's been almost 4 years since she died...and September 26th's don't seem to get any easier.

There isn't a day goes by that I don't want to pick up the phone to call her. Sometimes I do without thinking - and I end up having staccato conversation with my father, or worse - his wife.

Today is one of those days.

Today would have been a day for lunch and laughter...backgammon and hot gingerbread (Mom always loved my hot gingerbread). And of course, I would have sent her anthuriums - her favourite flowers. Being tropical, they had to be ordered months in advance. I had a standing order with the best florist in town for years. At least he doesn't call me anymore to confirm the delivery address.



If you have lost your Mother, as I know some of you have, then I take this opportunity to share a common sorrow.

If your Mother is still a part of your life, then I ask that you do me a favor. Call her if she is far from you - hug her if she is close...and give her one from me too.

Reluctance

Out through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world and descended;
I have come by the highway home,
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
To ravel them one by one
And let them go scraping and creeping
Out over the crusted snow,
When others are sleeping.

And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last lone aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
But the feet question 'Whither?'

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?


Robert Frost

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I understand how you feel.

I am with your Mum, you do make delicious gingerbread (and soup).

Sending good thoughts your way and if you need me, you know how to find me.

Love you.