Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Mispronounce You, Man and Wife

The telephone is ringing.
I glance at the call display screen.
123-456-7890.

Riiiiiiiight...not an unusual number at all.

Against my better judgment I pick up the phone.

Hello?

Ah...yes...Could I speak to um...uh...Mizzzz ELLE Ar...Ar....Arsco?

~snicker~

Beg pardon?

I wish to speak with Mizzzz EL Arsco.

Sorry, no EL Arsco here.

~click~

My husband Terre looks at me over his book, doing that crooked eyebrow thing he does so well. "Arsco?", he says.

I laugh and lay him ten to one odds the guy calls back looking for Mister Teeeee Arsco.

I lose.
Dammit.

Honestly though, how hard is it to pronounce Arscott? It is spelled just as it sounds.
R-Scott. Doesn't get much simpler than that. I mean, I can understand one silent T
- but two side by side??

Now, I realize that most of the people who do cold-call telephone sales usually don't have English listed as their mother tongue. But even in the most basic phonetic pronunciation, Arscott should still be pronounced Arscott. I can understand the emphasis on the wrong syllable maybe...but come on!

Sadly, there have been no more calls for the Arsco's.

However, Capital One (the annoying bastards) seem to think that someone by the name of Terse lives here.

They have no idea how right they are. =)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hahaha.... I love it....

Terse ........ lmao

We had them calling here looking for Hirby Kucka. Even the guy calling couldn't help but laugh at it. They never called back.